Saturday, July 26, 2008

I love writing to authors

I've written to authors of books I've enjoyed a couple of times. Each time I think, "nahhhh, they'll never write back." But each time they have. Today I wrote to Ellen Klages. Ellen is the author of the book I just finished.



So I've been trying to find a book with a strong girl main character. This does, it actually has two, but this is about things I know my kids have no background knowledge about; WWII and the building of the atomic bombs. I am hesitant to do it as a read aloud and I emailed the author explaining to her the make up of my class and the issues to get her feedback on doing it as a read aloud.

She was kind and gave me her feedback and that of what she's heard from others. I'm just not sure about the read aloud. I just don't know if I can expel that type of energy in conversations each and every day about the short amount of time we get to read.

I just want to say try writing to an author of a book you read lately, especially if you loved it. Tell them why, ask them questions about the book. Really, I had my students write to an author. They all asked about the questions the author left them hanging with. She not only answered all their questions, she sent her own photos of the town that inspired the book.

I'd really love to write to Kate DiCamillo. I LOVE her books!

No comments: