Tuesday, July 08, 2008

New blog header

Here is my new header. It is one of my favorite memories from Copenhagen. I couldn't believe how many bikes there were in the city. You didn't smell exhaust, see smog or feel like you were breathing in polluted air. Everyone rode bicycles. People had child seats and baskets. You'd see men biking to work in suits. Women would be in longer dresses, pants suits, or short mini-skirts with tights. Age wasn't an issue either. Young and old, everyone biked. I loved that they were the old fashioned looking bikes too. Rarely did you see the 15-speed mountain bikes. It would first appear that they didn't lock their bikes either, but after looking further, they have a unique locking device that would be back where a rear brake would grasp the tire, except it was a lock that went through the back tire.

One other observation I made in Copenhagen, most people I saw were in great shape and looked very healthy. I should take note of their exercise advice, ride a bike!

What a coincidence that the G-8 summit signed an agreement to lower greenhouse gas emmissions by 50% and I'm blogging about bicycles. What is so unfortunate is that the agreement won't be enforced until 2050, 42 years away. I guess that more people should visit Copenhagen to see how great it is not to have to deal with exhaust, smog, and car emmissions to understand why we should not wait another 42 years.

No comments: