Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Yikes what might I have gotten myself into???

I know things here over the summer have been hectic. I officially have about 20 days left of vacation and in that time I have to get my hair cut, doctor's appointment, get a root canal, register my youngest for high school, take my oldest back to college, and at some point try to see if I'll be able to go unpack my new room at school. The last is very doubtful.

But on top of all of this, I've been looking for ways to subsidize the college tuition payments, especially since Don is still unemployed. Well I've been praying to God daily about the financial situation. I'd come up with a list of things I could do extra at school. Those seemed like good ideas. I've been trying to get Don to find a part-time job to supplement the unemployment. I also considered trying for a liason position for the new reading cohort through the school district. Then one morning I woke up and thought about something my girlfriend and I joke about, teaching at the community college. One of my professors I had during my masters program mentioned it. At the time my friend, Chris and I said yeah, we teach kindergarten and 4th grade, who would want us to teach college kids? It's just been an ongoing joke. That is until last week the idea popped into my head to try to find the professor's email and ask her if she was serious about us teaching at the community college.

She got back to me almost right away, she wasn't joking in the least bit. Well to make a long story short, I sent her my resume, which she forwarded on to the head of the department. They were actually looking for someone to teach a reading class, and that afternoon, while Doug and I were driving back from NIU, the head of the department called me. She said she'd love to talk more to me about the position but couldn't unless I had a job application on file. We detoured to the college and got the application. I was going to fill it out over the weekend but was too busy. I worked on it Tuesday morning and was going to take it back out Tuesday afternoon. In the mean time, I get an email saying they are wanting to set up an interview, could I make it today, meaning Tuesday. I could have easily except I had to bring a copy of my college transcript with my most recent degree. I didn't have one so I made the interview for Thursday and headed into work to get that copy yesterday.

So tomorrow, Thursday, I have an interview with the head of the department at College of DuPage about a part-time adjunct position. I've been thinking to myself, "what ever did I get myself into?" I asked my former professor what she thinks I'll be asked about, she told me some things, thankfully, and I've been rereading a bit of college textbooks. I've got 24 hours to prepare. The silly thing is that I wasn't nervous until I went out for a pedicure today with my friend.

She's under the impression that this job has my name written all over it. I made one email and somehow it snowballed into them calling me, emailing me, and setting up an interview; all without my application being in. This crazy idea popped into my head and the funny thing is...I didn't chicken out on writing the email! It's almost like God has known how many hoops I've been jumping though lately with our financial situation that his one is kind of being just handed to me. It's like he's managing all of this without much of my help. I know that is how he works sometimes, but it just really seems ironic that 3 years ago, I thought of this as just a joke, and it has been a running joke between Chris and I, but now it could become reality. I've never wanted to teach junior high/middle schoolers or high schoolers, but I could soon be the teacher of college students.

If things work out, I won't be leaving my grade school position, but I'll be adding college into my schedule. That last part really sounded funny. I've been going to school 7 out of the past 10 years. Now I could be going to college but not having to study, but prepare the lessons for others to study. Frankly, I could be teaching kids my oldest son's age. I could be teaching people my age, or I could be teaching my husband if he decides that he really wants to go back to college. YIKES, see what I mean...what might I have gotten myself into????

No comments: