Thursday, July 20, 2006

Tiki took the funk away!

I can't say for sure, I do really just want to stay home and do nothing, but I have gotten things done the past couple of days.

Yesterday I had to convert my teaching certificate from an initial to a standard teaching certificate. That means I've officially gotten the nod from the state that I'm not a loser teacher and I've successfully completed teaching 4 years. This is the year I'm up for tenure. UGH that means 2-3 observations this year. Even better than that, we found out that our principal was transfered and our assistant became principal. Not sure yet about a new assistant, but things will definately change this year. I guess I should feel confident because she observed me last year and things were great. Just the fear of the unknown and this year holds a lot.

Ok, enough of my tangent. So yesterday I also stopped at the bead store. I decided I was going to take apart my Heidi Swapp badge holder and the flower that was on it because the flower was way beyond wilted. I had planned on making a beaded badge necklace last year but got the HS one so I held off. Well this year I did it, I made a new badge holder. I also bought beads to make a second one. The girl at the bead shop showed me a way that I could put the rings on the holder, and use 2 clasps on the end of my wires and make the beaded part interchangeable. That girl was smart! I love that option! I have only made the clear one, and I don't feel like getting out the camera right now but I'll put a picture of it up soon.

While there, I also decided I was going to make a couple beaded bookmarks, one for me and one for my mom. I also found these cool little stone tiki head beads and some little budda beads. Now I know what a combination. Well the story goes like this. One year, my oldest found a pair of boxers at Old Navy that had tiki heads on it. Well I found another pair and kept them for his stocking. Now each year, he gets something "tiki" for Christmas. Well sometimes it is difficult to find tiki stuff, especially at Christmas so I decided to make him a tiki keychain. Something simple and not too tiki apparent, but something I knew would make him smile. So now Brian has always gotten something Elmo related since he was a baby, but now that he's 14, it is getting a bit babyish to keep up the Elmo gift. So this year, I thought we'd give him an Elmo gift and a Buddah gift and then switch him over to Buddah. He already has 2 Buddah figurines so I think it's appropriate. So he'll be getting a little Buddah keychain.

Well I finally made it to Target too. I felt like I was going kicking and screaming, but it came down to dire necessity. We did not have any, yes I mean ANY toilet paper in the house. Not even one square. So I had to go. Well while looking for some shampoo, I saw this lady carrying a 4 foot high, black, resin Tiki man! OMG I thought my eyes would pop out and I didn't want her to think I was staring, but I was. So when I made it to the back of the store, I found them! There were the tiki men. 12 of them sitting there with a red clearance tag on their foreheads. I'd just found the ultimate Tiki gift! Doug would DIE! See sometimes he says he doesn't like tiki but I know he does. So here I am pushing my cart with 24 bottles of water, detergent, toilet paper...triple roll ;), a huge bag of dog food across the top of my cart and a Tiki man! They helped me out to my car and while taking the cart down the ramp, tiki shifted, the dog food fell off and OMG I thought tiki was a gonner. Thank heavens for a 40 pound bag of dog food, it saved tiki's life! He rolled off the top of the cart and fell onto the dog food. Although there were 11 left in the store, they were all damaged. They were tacky tiki's. This was the best one. So now I'm driving around with a 4 foot tiki in my trunk covered by a blanket.

So I guess I'm sorta out of my funk, wouldn't you agree. It's kinda scary how some beads and a tiki could wipe away the funk. Oh well, I must go clean my leather furniture, company comes in 2 days.

Have a great day, I'll be at CHA all day tomorrow hanging with my Tipster girls! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Angelina Schwarz said...

Laura, that's just the most awesome tiki story!!! :)