Saturday, March 29, 2008

Sadness in our family

My Uncle Dick was diagnosed with esophaguial cancer just after the first of the year. He'd been having radiation and chemo to reduce the tumor in order to have surgery to remove it. It was localized and wasn't any where else. Then earlier this week he wasn't eating, drinking or sleeping too well. So when he went for the chemo they checked his heart and things didn't seem right so they took him for an EKG. They admitted him into the hospital then his lungs shut down. They assumed that cancer had migrated to his lungs although it could have been fluid or a blood clot. Later that day they were going to do a CT scan to confirm what was wrong with his lungs. They told my aunt and cousins to call hospice because he probably had a week or so. They took him down for the CT scan and he died during the test. This was so sad because everything seemed to be progressing forward towards remission and then his heart just didn't make it.

He was a gentle man who cared about nature and doing the right thing. He taught my boys a lot. My boys really enjoyed spending time with him. He was like another grandfather to my boys and I know this is really difficult for them. My aunt is going to have a real tough time I can just feel it. She and my uncle had spent 50 years with one another. They were finally both retired and before now were supposed to be enjoying their time to do things and relax. Unfortunately God had other plan.

Here is my aunt & uncle at their 50th anniversary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear about your uncle, Laura.....I will keep everyone in my prayers.