Monday, October 08, 2007

Gotta love those extra "holidays"

As a teacher, I love those little extra holidays. Today being Columbus Day, my school district recognizes it as a holiday. It's a little break that teachers can so use to relax, unwind, and catch up on posting grades. I love these holidays, but sometimes I think it would do more for students if they were actually in school learning about the holiday instead of being home. I believe that students should know the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria; and that in fourteen hundred and ninety-two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. But what we don't touch on is the horrible side of Christopher Columbus and his men who killed the Native Americans. So we keep celebrating the man for "discovering America."

I remember this holiday as being so much more when I was a kid. Of course it was a REALLY big deal when I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. There was a huge parade and there was a huge statue of Christopher Columbus standing outside city hall. I used to see that a lot because my dad worked for the city.

I guess I've become such a cynic with holidays. I think I'm turning into my father. He never has really had an affinity for holidays. I think Valentines Day is too commercialized and gives the floral and candy companies a reason to jack up prices. I think Halloween has become a let's decorate as much as Christmas kind of holiday. I know Don totally disagrees with me on that one. I think it's redicilous that the department stores set up their Halloween and Christmas displays in July or August. I don't mind at all handing out treats to the kids for trick or treat but please everything is too commercialized and is all about the mighty buck.

Ok I'll just end this by saying it's nice to have today off.

No comments: