Monday, January 26, 2009

Will another blizzard ever hit on January 26?

How many birthday blizzards does one girl get?? Aparently January 26 is a pretty popular day for blizzards. Apparently, I've been born on a blizzardable (Is that even a word?)day!



This is a story I hear year after year. Do you realize you were born on the same day as the Blizzard of 67? Yes, I've heard it so many times, seen so many pictures, and the news usually mentions it each year. Blizzard of 67.

The crazy thing is that if I had lived in Chicago I don't know where I would have been born. Home, car, taxi, hospital??? Looking at the highway and the impassible snow, I just don't know. Thankfully, I was born in Ohio. My mom talks about wearing short sleeves, the 60 degree temperatures, and walking outside without a coat the day I was born. What a crazy coincidence, isn't it? I live now in a town with the largest 1 day snowfall, 23 inches and only 4 were predicted.

Another funny blizzard bit of trivia is that on my 11th birthday, I was in a blizzard in Ohio. It had hurricane force winds and the lowest barometric pressure. I remember my dad, who worked for the City of Columbus, got called in to work because it was payday. Granted no one could get out to the banks, the stores, or into work to get their paychecks, but the city sent a huge snowplow to come pick him up and take him to work.



Here is an article about that blizzard in which 51 people died. Blizzard of 78 I remember I was going to have homemade pizza and wound up having it I think, but we were without electricity for a long time. Can sterno cook a pizza?

Each year, I still curiously watch the weather almost anxiously awaiting to hear the weather reporters forcast another blizzard for January 26. Until then, I'll continue to try to have just a normal birthday.

No comments: