Saturday, December 27, 2008

Vacation: Week 1

This first week of vacation has been quite busy and crazy. It first started with my personal snow day last Friday. Then on Saturday, we celebrated Christmas with my family. We had a fun day, a good meal, and good company. It was quite different than most of our previous Christmases because my parents are now divorced. We also decided to draw names instead of buying for everyone. It was nice to not spend so much money, but it was just different than usual.

Then on Sunday, the bottom fell out in the weather department. I was hoping to go to church, then go shopping for the rest of my gifts. But when the windchill was in the -20-30 range, shopping and walking through the outdoor mall and to and from the parking lots at stores like Target and Walmart seems a bit ridiculous. So I just did a bunch of nothing. Sat, relaxed, watched tv, goofed around on the computer.

Monday came and the weather was still frightful, but I bucked up, bundled up, and decided that since the sun was out it was a fine day to shop. I also went scrapbooking with my friend Marybeth. We discussed that maybe we would scrapbook everyday over our vacations. We've done pretty well with that so far. So far I was able to accomplish finishing the Christmas journal I started 2.5 years ago. I finished the "believe" book. I also finished 2 more monogram letters that I want to display on a shelf that needs put up in my livin room.

I then started working on the cow album again. Each of the 2 days I've been working on it again, I've set goals of 6 pages for each day. On day 1 I accomplished 5 pages and on day 2 (yesterday) I accomplished 6 more pages. The number of photos I need to finish is probably about 20 more. I've got some ideas, but I'm finding that my letter/number stickers are dwindling. I have a lot of them still, but I'm finding the nicer ones, or the ones I want to use are running out. My goal has been to use up my supplies because they are becoming outdated and not used because I have been digital scrapbooking.

I also want to try to finish my Texas mini-album from my trip to visit Helen. I also have my Oprah's favorite things album that needs finished. I also want to work on my Baltic Cruise vacation photo carousel. I need to finish editing all those photos too. Wallgreens is having 10 cent photo developing and I should send some for printing.

Well today I've been a bit of a lazy daisy. I have played a bit of Wii. I read one of Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson books. I've been trying to decide if I should work on a calendar or start knitting a sweater. Both need done and I want to do both.

Well as you can see, there has been a lot going on over vacation so far. Doug left today to go watch Northern Illinois University play in the Independence Bowl in Shreveport, LA. He went with 3 other guys from school. I'm a bit nervous for him driving all that way. They left this morning at 3:30 am. I just hope they make it safely, act wisely, and return home safely. I know they are going to have fun, but as a mom, I worry from the time they leave until the time they walk back in the door home safely. If you could, please say a prayer for their safe arrival there and home and for safe and sound judgements while there.

I still have a week and a day left on vacation. I want to make the most of it and get things finished. I know that next Sunday evening I'll probably grade papers and get back into the swing of school. I'll be back soon with a few Christmas photos.

Enjoy your last week of December/first week of January! Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's no way in the world that you would describe Shreveport as a "party town". Folks from New Orleans tend to find it a bit boring. Actually, there are two distinct cultures in the state, typified by Catholic New Orleans and Baptist Shreveport. He should be fine!