Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's Thanksgiving!

Remember in the last post I said I'd be glad that it was almost Thanksgiving?? Well you'd never guess how difficult it was to get our family through to Thanksgiving. Remember I said I'd be glad to have Doug home for a few days?? Well he's been "home" but getting him here was quite a roller coaster ride? Let me give you some of the details.

Sunday night Doug called and said he'd had a stomach ache since Thursday. I said it was about 10:00 pm on Sunday night when he called, didn't I? Well he described the pain, I found a "kids health" page on the appendix and we basically diagnosed that probably had appendicitis and I told him to get up early and get to the clinic first thing Monday morning. So I give him a wake up call and our Monday starts rolling. On the way to work, I call our pediatrician to find out "my son is 18 but in college will you still see him" details. Then I called my mom to let her know what was going on and to see if he needed picked up immediately if she could go since Don and I were 45 minutes further east from her house. So by 9:00 Doug called and said it was appendicitis so we moved into action. Mom went to go get Doug, although the clinic didn't want him to go any further than the local hospital. We wanted him home closer to us. I started making plans to leave school early. I met them at the hospital at 11:30.

Once at the hospital we waited for a while although he'd already been diagnosed. He had to drink some contrast for a cat scan and that took 2.5 hours before he could have the test. Then it was confirmed so we had to wait for the surgeon. So finally at 6:30 he went into surgery. We got word he was doing well at 8:30 and he would be going up to the peds floor. We were the only people up there, then things got crazy for them.

Finally we were resigned to the fact that the doctor was pretty adamit about 3-5 days and he was really firm about 5 days. Well Doug was progressing pretty well and we had the nurses on our side ;) The surgeon today was not the operating surgeon and he gladly released us to come home today. What a great day to be home. We had a little turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie or as much as you can call it that. I've felt ill after each time I ate the "meat" from the hospital so who knows what they cook it in. I'm just so thankful we're all home today.

There won't be any home cooking here today. No turkey and all the fixins. It's not about the food anyway, it's about all the things you have to be thankful for, and today there is a lot to be thankful for. The appendix didn't rupture, but it leaked, but Doug's on the mend and we were able to get him home.

I hope you've enjoyed your family and friends. I hope you've reflected upon what you are thankful for. I hope you've checked the sale ads and wish you luck in getting to the big deals early tomorrow. I think we'll be heading to Northern so that we can pick up some things for Doug. I am not sure when he'll be going back to school so we need his computer for him to finish that term paper that was due Tuesday. I'll also be washing his laundry he couldn't get together to bring home either.

Enjoy your weekend!

3 comments:

Angelina Schwarz said...

Wow! Laura, you're right, we all have so much to be grateful for! Doug has had a little too much hospital time for his 18 year old life! I'm so glad you caught it in time, and he's ok!

Big hugs to all of you! Happy day after Thanksgiving!

xoxo
Angelina

Anonymous said...

So glad everything worked out ok for Doug, but scary for you, I'm sure. Did you ever get to have your turkey dinner? :)

Val said...

Oh, girl! I'm so glad he's ok and you were dead on when you said you have a lot to be thankful. What a memorable Thanksgiving!