Saturday, September 06, 2008

It's been a while

since I blogged. I can say that I have been busy. I know, that's the typical response, but it is truly my excuse. I guess I knew having my full-time teaching job was a lot, but when I undertook teaching night school I figured it wouldn't be so much of a big deal. It really is like preparing to teach just like I do during the day. I realize that my least favorite part of teaching is grading papers and maintaining the grade book.

Another thing I've been working on is trying to get my room at school organized. When I asked to change rooms, I knew I would have to pack up the old room and move and unpack. That I knew, I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was how many things were still in the room. I've been cleaning out and donating things to a bunch of new teachers. It feels good to start making this room my own, but I also felt really great being able to give things to new teachers.

I'm trying to employ the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)method and the OHIO (Only Handle It Once) method together at school. Right now neither are going too well. I've changed files from two file drawers once already, now I've got to do it again. But when you combining 2 classrooms of things down into one, I've got to pair things down and truly decide...do I need that? Have I used it? Will I use it..if so when? Is this book above my students' reading level? Is this in my curriculum?

By keeping this in mind I've been able to start to weed a bunch of stuff out and donate it.

In other family happenings, Doug is at school just as happy as a clam. Don is trying to find study times and get his homework schedule fixed so he'll be able to keep things flowing smoothly. Brian has started school and had his first behind the wheel day in drivers ed. We've been letting him drive and hopefully he felt comfortable when he had to drive in the big honkin car with the teacher.

The dogs are shaggy beasts and are in desperate need of grooming. The extra expense of grooming 2 dogs stinks. Right now that's not in the budget. Any ideas how to groom dogs yourself?

Well laundry and grading papers and placement tests is screaming for some attention. If I get it done, I'll be free for the rest of the weekend.

Toodles people!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How are you donig with your 'keeping up' goals Laura?? It's so easy to fall behind, hu? Did you get my e-mail about forgetting my login name and p/w??