Saturday, September 08, 2007

Crazy busy!

I'm getting really bad about updating my blog. It's just something I don't know that I want to make a mandatory, daily event. I'm enjoying being able to come home, fix dinner (yes you read that right) and enjoy just doing whatever I want. One night this week I was so hot from being at school all day that I did a quick foil dinner to throw on the grill and washed my car. I never wash my car but somehow just being close to the cold water from the hose helped cool me down.

I've got a doozy of a class this year. I can't say much publically but a lot of them are nice kids and want to learn. I've even gotten a pretty note from one girl telling me I was the best teacher in the world, and a coloring book page that a boy took his time and colored for me. On the other hand, I have some kids who need to realize that school is about learning and not fighting. One boy brought a squirt gun to school and took it out to recess without me knowing about it and was suspended for 3 days. I've had two boys who are working well together inside of class as partners but yesterday they were fighting on the playground after school. UGH, even the custodian told me last night that he's heard that my class is the worst in the school. I know he was joking around with me, but I've got to try really hard to not let that happen. Another incident yesterday had one boy writing with blue marker on another kid's shirt because a third kid use the non-writing end of his pen to act like he was drawing on the kid's back. Needless to say when he got punished he cried like a baby begging me not to send a note home. Then at the end of the day when I wrote the note, he begged and pleaded and cried again.

So between all of the all of these little "fires" that need putting out, I have a boy who has bad behavior and will also shut down and not work. The heat of my room, which is about 85 degrees by 9:00 am and the beginning of the year pretesting I'm coming home exhausted.

I've also undertaken a HUGE project at school. I've decided to put library pockets into ALL of my books, then look up their Lexile level or reading level, put notecards into the pockets,which involves writing the title of each book, then putting colored dots onto them so my kids are reading books at the correct level for them. I only got about 35 book pockets, and cards done yesterday. I looked up about 10 book levels but none of the books got dots. I can tell this is going to be a long term project because I probably have close 400-500 books. I wish I had a parent helper who could come in and do some for me.

Other than that, Doug's shoulder is hurting again so he's coming home monday night for an appointment with a new orthopedic surgeon. Don's been busy getting ready for another Uhaul auction, and Brian is going to tryout for the volleyball club again tomorrow.

Hope you are having a great weekend. I'm working on taking pictures for ebay listings and working on stuff for Val Fowler's creative team!

No comments: