Friday, June 05, 2009

Vacation....ahhhhhhhhhhh. Finally!

Vacation started today at 10:00 am. I didn't go out with teachers to celebrate. I've been sick and just wanted to get home. Packing and closing up a room isn't too fun when you feel horrible. It just figures that the last week of school I get sick. What a way to start vacation; sick. I don't dare mention it to too many people because they'd start thinking H1N1.

So my last thought of the school year was this: I hope I never get a class this bad ever again. It makes me feel really sorry for the students who where kind and did everything I asked. They had to be the buffers between the naughty kids, the constant talkers, and the overall problems. Those are the students who just didn't get their fair share of attention; I feel. Those are the kids who will just plain succeed because they've got it together and get lots of support from their families.

Now I don't know if I mentioned the fact that the major behavior student has been gone for a month. He was suspended with his brother for a racial remark. Instead of coming back after the 1 days suspension, they never come back. About a week later, the mom is in the office to talk to the principal. Are her kids with her, no. She's there to dispute the suspension 1 week after it was done and over with. The whole week that she never sent her kids back. I asked her if the children were coming back and her response was, "the last 3 weeks aren't important." Ok, so that's when we post test students, collect textbooks, and put closure to the whole year. I also mentioned that was not the first racial remark from her son, and that she should be concerned with the language that was coming out of her children's mouths instead of worrying about the punishment for the other child who got called the racial name. She only felt that those racial remarks weren't coming from her house.

Well I have to say that the last 4 weeks without the "problem child" were a Godsend. The classroom was much more peaceful and those "good kids" got their attention.

Jump ahead to today. The mom is now worried about her children's report cards. Not about the fact they were truent for 20 days. Not that her children lost out on more learning, not that she owed me 2 textbooks (to the tune of about $120), she was worried about their trashed up and completely used folders and notebooks. She also wanted the report cards. Would you have wanted to see those report cards with 20 days of missing assignments? Well just imagine, at least the one I issued wasn't any good.

Well off of this rant. This student is gone and this year is over. Now I'm going to relax and enjoy my summer vacation. Hopefully I'll break out the camera and take a few photos to make this blog more fun to look at.

No comments: