Monday, April 21, 2008

Give Big with a Little Give

Today was an emotional roller coaster. But before I can tell you the story I've got to give you some background. There is a radio station here WTMX 101.9 that did a promotion the first week that Oprah's Big Give started. Eric and Kathy, the morning show hosts, I think DJ's are not the appropriate job title any longer, did something called Eric and Kathy's Little Give. They gave 3 "players" $100.00 each to do something good with; donate it or help someone else out who could use just a little. Their objective was to do a similiar thing to what was happening on Oprah's show. After hearing them give away the money and hearing the outcome of the three people's gives I felt compelled to write the radio station to compliment them and tell them that this should be something to continue. A week or two later, I heard they were going to continue it but were changing it slightly and were picking communities to focus on. Jump ahead to today. I got up and on my way to work earlier than normal. Next they, Eric and Kathy, were talking about it being the last time they were doing their Little Give project. They were taking text messages to determine the community but I missed that part. Low and behold the community that was selected was mine, Downers Grove.

What a coincidence that just last night I was spreading the virtues of this great program with my mom. We talked about it so much that I actually missed the finale of Oprah's Big Give. Well after they announced my town and they said they were looking for 2 callers, I called. First I got a busy signal so I hung up and tried one or two more times. Sure enough, I got through and was selected!
I was put on the radio and one of the two people who were going to be given $100 to use and try to grow to make more. I was picked and now I had to scramble to figure out what organization. I selected the Family Shelter Service

Once this was actually put on my shoulders I immediately felt I wasn't going to be able to do as well as some of the others have done. I had to teach all day. How could I make this $100 turn into more in 24 hours? I swear do you know how quickly 24 hours is? I started to freak out and one of my close friends at school told me just do what you can. I called my family and asked Don and my mom to help me out. My mom called my brother whose field of work is donations! Geesh how could that have slipped my mind? I think it was a foggy, Monday morning brain. So I started sending out emails to everyone I knew. Sure enough I started getting some back saying I'll give you $25 or $100 or some other wonderful amount.

I got the kids in my class involved. Hey we did a bit of spelling, reading, and math today. I figure they got a chance to go above and beyond a "normal" day at school. They got to be involved in something big that was titled "little." It wasn't little. Can you believe that all my students went room to room collecting donations from all the teachers at Roosevelt School? After that my class worked all afternoon and popped popcorn to sell after school. We popped close to 200 bags. Try keeping some sanity with 18 kids and 200 bags of popcorn! I laugh now thinking back. Well tonight I came home and had over 40 emails from teachers from other schools.

Jump ahead to right now, I've finished calculating how much we've earned. I say we because I could have never done this without my students, the staff of Roosevelt School, the teachers of Cicero District 99, my mom, dad, brother, and husband. I have such wonderful friends who are willing to go above and beyond. The ladies who work at Beauty Company of Chicago who graciously donated $175 after my haircut. The people at my Weight Watchers meeting tonight gave over $50.

Ultimately, as of right now, I am going to be able to tell the Chicagoland area that my peeps were able to provide Family Shelter Services almost $4000.

To my peeps, YOU ROCK!!!! I cannot express my gratitude and thanks. If you feel you can contribute and the first 24 hours is over, keep it going because this shelter can always use "stuff" besides money. They can also use you. Consider being a volunteer there. Give them some time, sometimes that is worth more than money.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

16 comments:

Ursula Page said...

Laura....that is so wonderful! I am so proud of you the big giver!

Barb said...

Laura, that's just FANTASTIC! Congratulations to you, they sure picked a winner when they took your phone call. What a wonderful thing to read this morning!

Margie said...

That's phenominal!!!! How cool is that!!! Congratulations! This made my day! Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Amanda said...

That's an awesome story! Our ones news station did a similar thing here but they gave our smoke detectors. I forget how many thousand they gave out.

Mary said...

Congratulations sounds like your doing a wonderful deed ;)

Anonymous said...

Holy moly! That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations to all of you! That is so neat!!!!!!

Have a beautiful beautiful day! Though i think you already have!

Robin L said...

Your story is so wonderful! Great job you and your people did. Congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Laura! That is very impressive - and inspiring!

Anonymous said...

Good deal! Not only do they rock, but YOU rock!

SusannaT said...

Good stuff Laura!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your story :)...that's Awesome!

movefearlessly said...

that is an amazing story! you did a wonderful thing and should be so proud.

Deena said...

That's pretty awesome, congrats on doing such a fab job!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You go girl! Rock those 200 popcorn bags! I'm proud of you!

Meems said...

wow, that's so awesome, Laura!